It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:20 pm 

I thought it's about time that I create a little 'blog' of my painting and army building adventures as well. Please let me know any thoughts you have, open to all suggestions, questions etc.
For those who don't know me, I mostly play WH 30k/40k at Outpost. Currently I have a Mechanicum Army and a Questoris Knight host as well as a Guard Army that are mainly finished painting and a Nurgle Deamon/CSM army that is my newest project for this game. Obviously there is always something new/left that needs painting, so these items might pop up here.

During the recent Skulls at Outpost I was lucky enough to play a couple of games of Bolt Action. The game wasn't unknown to me, but this was the first time that I played a historical wargame.
The end result was that I ended up at Tactics the next week and got the rule book and a box of the German Afrika Korps by Perry Miniatures. This box is just amazing! The content is 38 plastic miniatures and with a bit of reading of the books and with the help of easyarmy.com the content is enough to get you started for 500 points and then some!
The content let me built me the following list:
  • 2nd Lieutenant (+1 guy)
  • Infantry Squad (8 guys incl NCO and LMG)
  • Infantry Squad (8 guys incl NCO and LMG)
  • 2x MMG teams
  • 1x Light Mortar team
  • 1x Ant tank rifle team

I also managed to get another 8 men Engineer squad and a two men forward observer team out of the box. Next up is a motorcyle with side car, followed by a PAK and a Panzer III or IV. But one step after the other...
Here a couple conversions I got out of the box:

The flamethrower is a IG canister with a bit of straight plastic rod. Had a bit of a look around and that got close enough to what they looked like back in the day. I should probably warn readers at this point. I will not go for 100% historical correct uniform colours or the like. I will try for a worn, sand/khaki colored appearance of the troops, but I am not aiming for the exact tone that the GAK was issued on the 20th April 1942 while sitting somewhere in Northern Africa. Kudos to everyone achieving this level of detail, but that's just not me.
The trial lot is base coated and in the next couple days I might be able to show the finished squad.

Should this whole venture into the historical wargaming turn out to be not my thing, then I have got alternatives prepared....

Off to the painting table!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:43 pm 

Welcome to wargaming blogging :)

I look forward to seeing your models. The flamethrower looks great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:08 pm 

Love the kitbashed flamethrower using IG parts. The glories of having a deep bitzbox!

What are the Flagellants with the chainswords for? Are they counts-as Repentias? Some Inq28 project? Or will these be cultists for a new Word Bearer army?

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:21 pm 

Thanks guys, I am quite happy with the conversion as well. Thinking of adding some flames like the Warlord Games one. Just have to find a good flame.

The flagellants are going to be the warrior acolytes for my Inquisitor Solomon Lok. If he is not on the field, they will be an awesome stand in for even more Minostorum Priests.

In the meantime I managed to finish my first five guys, including my 2nd Lieutenant.

The helmets look a bit flat, even with a little line highlight. Maybe I go ever them with a sponge and just and some chipping. But for now I am quite happy with the result. It was reasonable quick and simple enough to have production line painting happening.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:00 pm 

They look really good man. Have you tried a glaze or really light ink (pretty much the same thing) just above the rim of the helmet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:49 am 

Yeah, I think the helmets need some dirtying up. A Devlan Mud wash or maybe Gryphon Sepia?

As far as flames go, I'm always a big fan of the Ork topknot as a flame (http://www.armorcast.com/Cinematic-Effe ... ts-of-fire). Alternately you can always go with Armorcast's Cinematic effects: http://www.armorcast.com/Cinematic-Effe ... ts-of-fire

I look forward to seeing where you go with the Acolytes - they look cool.

"Man, I wish there was a real Black Library where I could get a Black Library Card and take out Black Library Books without having to buy them. Of course, late fees would be your soul. But it would be worth it." - InquisitorMack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:05 pm 

The Afrika Corps dudes are looking great! Are the bases done? Something you'd might want to consider is some static grass. You can get desert colours at Tactics. These will really bring out the bases.

Have you thought of what armour support you're getting?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:42 pm 

I haven't played around with glazes yet, maybe something I should give a go. I did give them a cover in Agrax but then the layer/drybrush was just to hard. A wash directly just discolours it too much for my liking, so the glaze sounds like an idea, or maybe just a 50/50 mix agrax/water!?
Regarding the bases, grass tufts are still to come, you are absolutely correct Dr Claw! All I have atm are the 'Middenland' tufts from GW but I do want something longer, more of a savanna type grass. I'll have a look next time I am down at Tactics.

As far as the future for my list goes, next up will be a bike with side car, followed (replaced) by the Sd.Kfz 222 (the 4-wheeled armoured car). As a kid I had some GAK 1:35 scale models of both of these, so I have to bring back some memories (maybe I'll replace the 222 with a Sd Kfz 250, as this can also be taken along the bike). When it comes to actual armour support, I will most likely go with a Panzer III variant. In game terms either the Ausfuehrung E/F with a light or the Ausfuehrung G with a medium anti tank gun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:45 am 

These look Great!!!
I really like the light tan colour rather than the darker brown. I am looking forward to seeing how this pans out for you! Your list is almost exactly the same as mine :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:55 pm 

For some reason Photobucket wasn't working for me in the last few days, so with a bit of delay my latest update...

I got a bit sidetracked with my Afrika Korps. I should have not basecoated the Acolytes/Priests

This is what they gonna be, either Acolytes for Lok
Or additions to my priests

Got some tufts as well from Tactics and here is the updated first lot. Not too sure if I should ad more tufts? It's in the desert nevertheless, so maybe on the next lot I'll add a few more rocks instead to mix it up!?
Also added a bit of wash to the helmet to get the 'flatness' sorted. Looks alright, but I've gotta try some weathering as well.

The next lot of five is on the table and most of the base colours are on, nearly ready for wash. Target is to get the 400 points ready before the end of the year and it's looking good. Seeing the new guys as 50% complete, I only need to finish another 8 normal guys, an MMG and my light mortar team. Sounds doable, unless...
...More side projects are on the table to mix it up. Besides the Lord of Plagues (purchased with the Skullz voucher ;-) ) my latest FW delivery rocked up. So now three new Vorax are waiting to get some paint on.
Four weeks to go, lets see if I can manage that, a big paint job (kitchen reno) seems to be higher on the priorities for others ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:41 am 

The Priests/Acolytes are a really good match in style with your existing Priests - well done! How do you do your lettering? With a brush or a micron pen?

I can see where you did the wash the helmets. It looks better, but you're right, it looks like it still needs something else. And yeah, for the bases, I would add a few more rocks into the mix, but they're looking really good.

Can't wait to see the Voraxes. Did the Avenger arrive?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:00 pm 

Thanks Jacob, will paly around with some stones on the next lot for sure.
I am not overly happy with the skin tone, always struggled with skin the most, hence the Mechanicum ;-)
The lettering is done with a 10/0 Ultra Fine Detail from Lernhardy (?) they have them at Tactics.
Voraxes are already basecoated... talking about distractions from BA. The Avenger might be there as well, the package was confiscated immediately upon arrival by the better half for Christmas preparations :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:22 pm 

Oh man, the distractions are taking over from the GAK... ;-)

Finished the Lord of Plagues and he fits in quite well with the rest of the Nurgle theme I have started:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:21 am 

They're looking suitably gross, nice work :)

I think you might need another thin layer or two just above the rims of the helmets to really give it that depth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:46 am 

I do have do do something with the helmets, that's for sure. I was planning to wait for the next lot of five to get to this stage so that I can play around with some weathering and have one squad done as a batch so that there is not too much of discrepancy between them. This weekend might be a good time for that.