It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Bloggin' - 2016 down
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 pm 

I've been working on quite a few different projects here and there and I thought I'd put them up here as I go along to get input and ideas from the community, to keep me motivated.

It's been a while since my last blog and the army that was the subject of that blog set me back as a painter and wargamer for a long time! Not only did doing so much in a short period of time give me back and neck problems, but it sucked a lot of the joy in painting and playing out of me.

I started the Skaven project with the aim of taking it to Skulls FB that year and competing for best painted. I achieved that, and won the painting, but it made me feel like I should better that achievement.

So I started a bunch of projects always trying to improve on what I did before with the Skaven. But I never seemed to get much better with it, so I lost patience and gave up, and eventually got to the point where I didn't even start painting things because I knew I'd get frustrated and give up.

Along with other outside factors it made me very tired of wargaming altogether. But I kept on getting ideas, and I pulled out the Skaven occasionally, and every time I played them I remembered how much I liked them, how proud I was of them, and how much I enjoyed playing with a fully painted army on nice terrain against a good opponent. It was something of a revelation I has as I was playing against Karl Ivankovich's beautiful High Elves actually!

And then I came across a quote that resonated with me: "The perfect is the enemy of the good."
In other words, only accepting perfection and being too hard on yourself can stop you doing anything at all, even if it is something which is still very worthy.

So with that in mind I've decided not too push myself too hard with painting. I still want to improve (and I will with more practice) but I'm not going to let it get to the point that it stops me painting guys and playing games with painted armies--which is ultimately why I'm in this hobby. I would rather be playing with a well painted army than not playing games with a brilliantly painted army I will never finish painting!

So it's not about laziness or resting on my laurels, it's about getting paint brush to model and model to table, and not making it too much more complicated than that. Trophies and prizes are nice, but playing and enjoying it every week is better.

So this is what I've got in the works:

Bolt Action - USA - FINISHED FOR NOW
This is the army I got going with, having a league at Outpost really helped push it along. I not only painted the army but a bunch of terrain too. Historical models are a new experience. A lot more models to choose from, but a far more limited palette to choose from. Having never used military colours before it was something different.
Mostly done now, just a few small units left.

And my French at 800 points:

Starks for Lion Rampant:

SAGA - Normans & Scots - FINISHED FOR NOW
The first historical game I played, and one I only play sporadically, but a hugely fun game.

40k - Marines - Aurora Chapter - finished for now

40k - 2nd ed Tyranids

Warmachine - Cryx - finished for now
HERE

Dwarfs - for fun and Song of Blades & Heroes - ongoing
A few dwarfs, and maybe some other fantasy models here and there that grab my attention.
Scattered here and there throughout the blog

French and Indian Wars - for Song of Drums & Tomahawks - ongoing
The first project I intend to finish for 2015, a skirmish game set mid-18th century in north east America. Provincial Pennsylvanians are my first project.
Starts HERE

Infinity - Nomads
Starts here

Bushido - Tengu Descension
Starts here

I'm keeping a running count, and as of 20/11/2016, i've painted 172 models in 2016
-- added 9 dryads and carnifex
170 in 2014
113 in 2015

I was curious to see what painted playable forces I have, and this is it:
40k - Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, 2nd ed Tyranids
WHFB/KoW - Skaven, Ogres
SAGA/Lion Rampant - Normans, Scots, Starks
Bolt Action - USA, France
Malifaux - Arcanists (Marcus & Rasputina), Outcasts (Tara)
Warmachine/Hordes - Cryx, T&C Trollbloods
Bushido - Tengu
Song of Drums & Tomahawks - Pennsylvanians
Song of Blades & Glory - Dwarfs
Infinity - Nomads
Marvel Miniatures Game - Avengers
Age of Sigmar - Aelves

Last edited by Orange on Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 102 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm 

They all look awesome, and a nice variety of genres too. favourites have to be the Bolt Action and Saga stuff, although I really love the painting on all of them.

Looking forward to seeing more

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:39 pm 

Looking foward to seeing what you do with the armies! Your skaven force was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:28 pm 

Show me more! They are all so lovely and crisp. :D
Quote:
Battling with Five Armies - my combined army blog
That's not a veiled reference to any Hobbity/LotR painting activities is it? Battle of Five Armies coming out in 6 months and all hehe :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:46 am 

Luckily I'm not good enough to feel like I need to paint to perfection. Time (or lack thereof) is the destroyer of my hobby.

That said, I love the range of hobby you have going on here. And to be clear your "meh, good enough" is my "damn, I'm awesome".

Damn you.

"Cry "Havoc!!", and let slip the dogs of war" Julius Caesar; Act III, Scene I

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 pm 

Cheers guys.

Hutch--yep I'm really enjoying the historical stuff, it's a nice change after years of fantasy and sci fi stuff. Plus the "fluff" is much easier to find, and SAGA and Bolt Action are very accessible to people like me who aren't history buffs.

Tony--it's where I got the name from but no, not planning on going there. I'm continually tempted by the models for Rohan, then I remember the plastics are all mono pose :(

Mikey--my method is very quick, but don't worry, I feel like that when I see the work of people like John Metzakis, Olly Paun, the Warnocks (where'd they go?) and Jiefu--who should put up some pics of his Convergance, I saw them last night and they're stunning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:45 pm 

Knocked out my SAGA crossbowmen and peasant archers over the last couple of days as the tournament is closer than I realised!

Some of you may recognise the archers--I got them at a couple of bitz nights, originally because no one makes plastic Norman archers. But they've grown on me now. And nice to put some paint on some old models!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:47 pm 

They look fantastic and those old Bretonnian Archers have come up a treat. Consider me very impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 pm 

Very classy Normans mate. Gorgeously crisp painting as always love the flora work on the bases also Pete, straight from the Battle of Hastings! I've been busy at work on my fighting uruk-hai 1 captain and 16 scout uruk-hai nothing more than that though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 pm 

Finished the just in time for the tournament tomorrow.

Second unit of knights:

And everyone all together:

And in action the other night:

So that's a 6 point SAGA army, and two small skirmish-type armies done for the year. Funnily enough, one invaded England from Normandy, and the other invaded Normandy from England :)

Tournaments and leagues are a great way of motivating me to get things painted. Without something to aim for, and some kind of time limit, I really struggle to get anything done.

Now I need to look for something to aim for with the other 3 armies. And I'm considering putting together small second forces for Bolt Action and SAGA so that I've got two forces if people want to try the game.

I'll hopefully get some good pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:35 pm 

Knights and sergeants are lookin classy mate very classy. is the scarey lookin fella with the mace William the Ba...rd/Conqueror?

I'm looking forward to seeing this in person those horses are so good I could almost smell them through the forums.

"my little pony, my little pony----"
*Lance in face*
*drops dead*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:05 pm 

Cheers Tony, but you can say 'bastard'--it's technically correct, not perjorative. So you can sing 'bastard, bastard, bastard, bastard, bastard' Bart-style all you like ;)

But no, it's not William. Supposedly one of my ancestors was a Norman baron, so I've decided that's who he is :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 pm 

I especially like the bases, where did you acquire those flowery tufts from?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:50 pm 

Thanks Baz, they're battlefield tufts from The Army Painter. You can get them at Tactics. They're really easy to use and give a great effect.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:18 am 

Fantastic looking Norman Army. Are those Conquest Games knights?