Register    Login    Portal    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games Workshop » The Lord of the Rings General Discussion

Post subject: How GW got screwed on The Hobbit (possible spoilers)
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:30 am 

So, I had a quick glance at the new Hobbit rulebook yesterday and I wasn't entirely surprised to see that GW had run into the same problem as other manufacturers of Hobbit merchandise. You see, in order for product tie-ins to be completed and ready for the release of a film, they need to be planned and produced fairly early in production. They rely on the script and concept art as a guide to how the finished film will look. Unfortunately, this can mean they were misled in the event that a film goes through last minute changes and deviates from the initial script and designs. The Hobbit went through more than its fair share of last minute changes.

Here are some examples of redundant merchandise:

Here we have action figures of Legolas and Tauriel and a Lego set of the scene in which they rescue the dwarves from the Mirkwood spiders. This scene was originally meant to occur in An Unexpected Journey. However, when the decision was made to split the Hobbit into three films this scene was bumped to movie 2. Now, neither Legolas or Tauriel appear in the first film. I guess nobody bothered to tell the toy manufacturers.

Here's another scene that got bumped to the second movie. However, the little blurb "Trilogy Preview Set" makes it seem like the just altered their packaging slightly when they realised this scene was from the wrong film.

Here's the real kicker. First, a minor detail. You see how they have blue flaming pine cones as well as red ones (as it was in the book). Well in the film they just have normal red flames, a change that I'm fine with as it keeps the magic subtle. They real problem with this set is the figurine of the villain, Azog, the orc riding the white warg. Azog is the primary villain for the first film and went through a number of changes and redesigns over the course of the film. At one point they changed the villain to Bolg and then back to Azog again. The lego figurine in this set is based on Azog as he appeared during filming, a sort of orc bikie with big spikes on his shoulders and a leather jacket made from dwarf faces. It was a pretty awesome design. Unfortunately, for some incomprehendable reason, they decided in post to replace bikie Azog with what I like to call "engineer Azog", a bad cgi giant albino orc with an unusual appendage. Which leaves me to wonder if they will make a last minute change to this lego set and include the "real" version of Azog.

Which brings us to the different versions of Azog and Bolg. Here is Azog the bikie:

Obviously the toy company has a huge pile of these redundant Azog figures so they've renamed them Yazneg and are selling them as Toys R Us exclusives in the UK. Anyone over there would be wise to pick up a few as they could become collectors items once the truth comes out.

And this happy chap is Bolg:

I especially love the little details, like how he is wearing a stolen dwarf beard. In the book Azog is mentioned in the backstory as having killed Thorin's grandfather and then being killed by Dain, his son Bolg turns up at the battle of five armies and kills Thorin. Originally the films were going to flip this, with Bolg killing Thorin's grandfather and Azog being his son. Clearly, the toy manufacturers are still under the impression the Bolg is the central villain.

Which brings us to GW:

Notice how they've released a model of Bolg but not Azog? And how the backstory in the rulebook says Azog was killed by Dain and that Bolg rules the orcs? Looks like nobody told GW about the last minute changes to the film. The best part is, they even scuptled a miniature of bikie Azog. There is a single picture of him in the rulebook, though I doubt he will ever get released. This goes a long way to explaining why there are no scenarios for the Hobbit game aside from various battles in goblintown. They didn't know what other scenes would even be in the film.

2012 - (bring on 6th ed)
2011 - Nerfed Vendettas
2010 - Nerfed Manticores
2009 - Nerfed Craters...?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 am 

That's all pretty funny.... And unfortunate

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 pm 

Crazy. Pretty keen to get my hands on one of those yaznegs.

Post subject: Re: How GW got screwed on The Hobbit (possible spoilers)
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:14 pm 

its seriously tempting me to start playing =P

Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:59 pm 

tenacious_dee wrote:
Notice how they've released a model of Bolg but not Azog? And how the backstory in the rulebook says Azog was killed by Dain and that Bolg rules the orcs? Looks like nobody told GW about the last minute changes to the film. The best part is, they even scuptled a miniature of bikie Azog. There is a single picture of him in the rulebook, though I doubt he will ever get released. This goes a long way to explaining why there are no scenarios for the Hobbit game aside from various battles in goblintown. They didn't know what other scenes would even be in the film.

There are actually two pictures of Azog in the Hobbit rule book, but neither of them have him mounted on a white warg.
I was surprised that Tauriel isn't in the rulebook, but she probably appears in the second film anyway (along with Legolas, Thrandruiel etc...)
It was exciting to see a new Gollum sculpt, as well as new Eagles and a new Gwahir. They look rad!!
And the new Dwarves look tanky!

Obviously, a second wave is due, which I would imagine is about 4-6 months away (after the designers know what is in the film, and have had enough time to sculpt models, write rules and have them printed).
I expect
- A Hobbit Journey book
- The Eagles
- Gwahir
- Gollum and Bilbo
- Thorin's Company (there are different sculpts in the Rules manual besides the ones that appear in the Escape from Goblin Town).
- Radaghast
- The Dwarf tank-mans.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:34 pm 

This was posted today on BoLS:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/12/editorial-did-gw-hitch-themselves-to.html

2012 - (bring on 6th ed)
2011 - Nerfed Vendettas
2010 - Nerfed Manticores

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:15 pm 

tenacious_dee wrote:

Its still just someone's opinion...
There is next to no facts in that emotion-driven article.
And the author doesn't even answer his own question (Did New Line hold up their end?)

When it comes down to facts, GW has changed marketing strategies a great number of times in the last 11 years.
White Dwarf itself has changed twice in that time, there are no more 'sneak peak' emails, releases are released in one month (not three), Lord of the Rings no longer has a release month. Hell, I don't know if any game has its own release month anymore (it is mixed between Black Library and the army book release). There is also no news about releases.
And then there is all that stuff we don't know about...

Realistically, the Hobbit Movie and the Hobbit SBG cannot be compared to their predecessors 11 years ago.
Too much has changed in too long a time to draw any correlation between changes in the 'The Fellowship' release and 'The Hobbit' release.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:32 pm 

True. But the Hobbit movie isn't doing as well as Warner Brothers' PR department would have you believe.

At the moment the top grossing films of 2012 are:

The Avengers - $1,511mil
Dark Knight Rises - $1,081mil
Skyfall - $978mil
Ice Age 4 - $875
Breaking Dawn - $796mil
Amazing Spiderman - $752mil
Madagascar 3 - $742mil
Hunger Games - $686mil
MIB 3 - $624mil

The Hobbit is currently on - $523mil. Not a bad number but nowhere near what it should be.

The opening day gross for The Hobbit in the US was $37mil. Compare that to $80mil for Avengers, $75mil for Dark Knight Rises, $67mil for Hunger Games, $71mil for Breaking Dawn. In the end it basically tied with Amazing Spiderman with $36mil.

After ten days in the US, The Hobbit had made $150mil. The Avengers made this much in two days and by day ten was up to $373mil. DKR passed $150mil on its third day and at day ten was at $287mil. Hunger Games also passed $150mil in three days and was at $248mil by day ten. Breaking Dawn took four days to pass $150mil and reached $227mil on day ten. Skyfall had a softer opening day than Hobbit (only $32mil) but was up to $161mil by day ten. Even The Amazing Spiderman, which opened similar to Hobbit was at $165mil by day ten.

So, how does it stack up to the Rings films? Keep in mind that Hobbit has ten years of inflation as well as 3D and IMAX premiums in its favour. Fellowship had an $18mil opening day and $129mil ten day total. Two Towers had a $26mil opening day and $168mil ten day total. Return of the King had a $34mil opening day and $190mil ten day total. Fellowship ended up with $871mil worldwide, Two Towers with $926mil and Return of the King at $1,119mil.

Given its current trajectory, The Hobbit - Part One is expected to wind up around $800-850mil. Not even matching the previous Rings films despite inflation and 3D and placing it in contention with Breaking Dawn 2 (which didn't have IMAX or 3D pricing!) for fifth place in this year's releases. Pretty dissappointing for a film that was supposed to be the most anticipated movie of the year.

So what does this mean for GW? Well, if people are less inclined to go back for repeat viewings of The Hobbit, as these numbers suggest, then how likely do you think it will be for them to drop $200+ on an Escape from Goblintown set?

2012 - (bring on 6th ed)
2011 - Nerfed Vendettas
2010 - Nerfed Manticores

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 pm 
Club WestGamer

tenacious_dee wrote:
Well, if people are less inclined to go back for repeat viewings of The Hobbit

No movie, no matter how awesome, has ever warranted a repeat viewing at the cinema for me.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 am 

Didn't it only get released 3 days ago on Boxing Day?

Captain Ignatius, Doombringers 3rd Company

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:45 am 

Battle-brother Maracthor wrote:
Didn't it only get released 3 days ago on Boxing Day?

In Australia.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:18 pm 

DJCodex wrote:
tenacious_dee wrote:

No movie, no matter how awesome, has ever warranted a repeat viewing at the cinema for me.

Yes, exactly! I don't understand when people say 'I went back and watched it 3 times!' wtf? How much patience for repetition to these people have. Dance music fans probably.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:16 pm 

Zoring wrote:
DJCodex wrote:
tenacious_dee wrote:

Yes, exactly! I don't understand when people say 'I went back and watched it 3 times!' wtf? How much patience for repetition to these people have. Dance music fans probably.

I saw The Fellowship 3 times... :oops:

Being a Teenager at the time has alot of spare time for wasting money though.

Olly
Roleplayer09
Wolflord

Revenge shall be mine!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:44 pm 

Time for the next chapter in this on-going saga. Now that The Desolation of Smaug has been shown to some of the public, I am no longer contractually bound to secrecy over its content.

Remember this guy?:

He was meant to be Bolg, son of Azog. However, he's now shared his daddy's fate and been replaced by a horrid CGI videogame character.
As I went to the GW site for this pic, I noticed that they've done a pretty swift rebranding and are now calling this miniature "Gundabad Orc General". Expect to see a "real" Bolg model in a few month's time.

Speaking of his dad, it was nice to see GW release a model of the original Azog:

Much better than what they ended up with:

And a word of warning. I wouldn't waste any money buying Thrain:

Poor guy. He got cut out of the first film and now cut out of the second one as well. His only screen appearance is about half a second of the Hobbit 1 trailer.

So what should you buy instead of Thrain? I'd suggest this guy:

Not only is he an awesome looking model that is still available in metal, he is a far cooler depiction of the necromancer than what ended up in the movie:

Actually, even the lego version is far better than the version in the movie:

Yes, GW's necromancer design is equally as superior to the movie version as their version of Radagast:
(notice the absence of bird poop?)

After having read the DoS rulebook, I notice that once again GW has taken the safe road and avoided writing scenarios for scenes that may not even end up in the film (Though I seem to remember reading a scenario involving Thrain). Unfortunately, Lego has once again fallen into the trap of releasing a set for the wrong movie:

2012 - (bring on 6th ed)
2011 - Nerfed Vendettas
2010 - Nerfed Manticores

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:58 pm 

No attention yet payed to the fact that they are shoehorn-ing legolas into the hobbit? ;)

I will totally go and see it and was happy with the first one, but I can't wait to see how they justify that ret-con.

I really hope that they have him as and unnamed elf to the party, so that bilbo isn't meeting him years earlier than in the novels. But I doubt that's the case given what iv seen in the trailers.

Not a huge del'toro fan, and I'm associating the story changes to him even though it's probably not his fault ;)

Board index » Games Workshop » The Lord of the Rings General Discussion