[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
WestGamer Ultimate Warmachine 2012 - WestGamer
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 am 
Site Admin

NOVEMBER 3rd & 4th 2012

Ultimate Tournament Information
The Ultimate Tournaments are invitational events for the miniature wargaming hobbyists of WA where the best of the field for each featured game system can take part to compete for the honour of being the ultimate champion of the tournament season. Furthermore, the Ultimate Tournaments are about promoting the local tournament scene in WA and venerating those players worthy of their efforts in the hobby.

The Ultimate Warmachine players consist of 14 contenders who have qualified by placing highly at other events during the year, and 2 "Wildcard" contenders who are nominated by the public and voted in by the event Judges. Wildcard nominations for 2012 will open shortly.

Tournament Format
- This is a Warmachine/Hordes event using the Mk2 rules. Note that this is not an official Steamroller format event (but will incorporate several components from the Steamroller format).
- Players will require 3 lists at 50 points (with reinforcements) to be used in a "Divide & Conquer" format.
- 7 rounds of play over 2 days.
- Models used must adhere to hardcore painting requirements (as per the Steamroller 2012 pack).
- Baseline game timing will be used for rounds 1 - 5. The Deathclock timing variant will be used in the final 2 rounds of the tournament (6 & 7).
- Award categories scored at the event will include Overall, Ultimate Assassin (fastest caster kill), Ultimate Destroyer (most VPs) Ultimate Painting & Hobby (combines painting & hobby scoring).

Schedule & Player Information
Full details on the weekend schedule and how the event works can be found in the Player's Guide available for download HERE.
Upstairs function room, The Saint George Hotel,
2 Morris Rd, Innaloo
Venue Information
- Easy access by bus & a short distance from the train line (Stirling Station)
- Ample parking available available
- This is a licenced venue, and as such all attendees under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the duration of their attendance.

Food & Drink
Attendees will have access to a fully licensed bar within the event function room (as well as in the main hotel area downstairs), and competitors aged 18+ may make full use of the facilities. There is also a fantastic lunch & dinner menu available to order from at the bar. There are plenty of places to eat available within short walking distance as well. Please note however, that food purchased from outside the hotel may not be brought back onto the premises.

The 2012 Warmachine & Hordes Oz Super Series Masters
The Ultimate Champion and Ultimate Runner-up of Ultimate Warmachine 2012 will both receive an exclusive invite to compete at the Oz Super Series Masters tournament final in Brisbane on the 8th & 9th of December 2012.
Note: Declined invitations for whatever reason other than the person has already qualified will not pass down to other players. An invitation will only pass down when a player that gains an invitation has already qualified for the Masters final.

More information about the Oz Super Series Masters can be found here.

Ticketing
Qualifying players will be contacted individually regarding tickets for the event.

Contacts
If you have any questions about the event, then either e-mail:

ultimate@westgamer.com

or post your questions here and we will endeavor to respond as quickly as possible.

Let the countdown begin!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Players pack link has just been added (above) and this thread is now open for questions and event discussion!

E-mails will start going out shortly (over the next few days) to the first batch of qualifiers, with more to follow later as they are confirmed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:37 pm 

Comments/points..

That's interesting. First two rounds are random, 3+ is seeded. And round 7 can see players who have been paired against each other, play again.

Assassination Victory - It says mark the time. I take it all players will set up and then start the game in unison?

Painting scores contribute to overall winner... that's the only thing I really object to.

A very unconventional tournament.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 pm 

Quote:
Painting scores contribute to overall winner... that's the only thing I really object to.
This is something shared between all of the Ultimates formats. No reason to not apply it to Warmachine, even if it's something Steamroller doesn't bother with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
This is something shared between all of the Ultimates formats. No reason to not apply it to Warmachine, even if it's something Steamroller doesn't bother with.
Yeah I know. It's why I'm not raising a fuss.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Assassination Victory - It says mark the time. I take it all players will set up and then start the game in unison?
100% correct.
Quote:
No, they don't. ;)
Read that one again. It's an entirely separate category.
Quote:
A very unconventional tournament.
That was the exact intent. Straight out of the book Steamroller is great, but it's not the only way to run an event! There are enough of those on the annual calendar already.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm 

Oh, cool.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to the mix of deathclock and standard timing.

That and 3 lists- finally.

SO much easier to cover your bases with 3 lists.

Divide and Conquer is hard.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
As above - actually, it doesn't.

It was strongly considered (it is something of a theme for the Ultimates and has been since the beginning), but at the end of the day it would be attempting to force something that the Warmahordes community just isn't ready for yet given that so few events enforce painting at all. We can still have it as a significant feature of the tournament this year with it working as a separate category to the overall championship.

We'll see what happens in future years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:52 pm 

oh man ultimate assasin and destroyer are so mine if i get in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:31 pm 

Pretty sure I'm gonna take skorne to this one. If I can get it all painted in time that is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:39 am 

When are invites going out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
When are invites going out?
Quote:
E-mails will start going out shortly (over the next few days) to the first batch of qualifiers, with more to follow later as they are confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 am 

Reading has always been a strong point of yours Jase. :lol:

Should be an interesting tournament though, certainly a different way to go about it. Glad to see painting doesn't contribute to overall, when I first saw Jase post that it did my initial reaction was to not be a part of the event. Personally never want painting to contribute to overall, but that's a discussion for if and when it ever happens.

Now to try and work out what faction to play. Highly doubt I can get a third list painted in the 10 days before the tourney after my trip.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:58 am 

Painting scores should never be included in WMH except at the odd tournament which connects the community (gpda etc.).

I do wish the separate painting award should be given a lot more attention. (prizes for first and runner up maybe?)

In regards to this ultimates format, I wanna give Luke a pat on the back. I'm super excited for the whole thing. 7 rounds, a mix of timed turns and deathclock, three lists with divide and conquer. Well done man.
Awesome to see you've mixed it up in the right kind of way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:52 pm 

I'm just browsing how the winner(s) are determined, and have a question.

It says that basically, the top 2 players will play off in round 7 for the winner of Ultimates.
Does the loser of that game get awarded 2nd place, regardless of other things such as SoS, Control points, VP's, etc..?

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone