It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 pm 

While ive attempted to answer the questions as best as i can find/tell. I must admit, some of these questions while not being answered can directly affect a persons Army Selection choices. Especially considering you want army lists so soon.

2012 Ultimates Warhammer - Best General
2012 Ultimates Warhammer - Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:08 am 
Site Admin

Your patience is appreciated guys. I needed to get hold of some of the source material that I didn't own before I was able to confirm responses to a few of these - hence the delay.

*Ultimates rulings:

Q: Are Lord Kroak's Deliverance of Itza and the Engine of the God's Burning Alignment able to target all enemy units, even if the units are engaged in combat or not within the front arc?
A: Engaged units or units outside of the caster's forward arc may not be targeted.

Q: In a unit of Salamander Hunting Packs that contains more than one Salamander, do you resolve the number of hits against a unit by each Salamander individually or at the same time?
A: Resolve all Slamander hits at the same time, then resolve all wounds.

Q: Does the Predatory Fighter rule allow for an additional attack from models making Supporting Attacks beyond their single Attack (for non-monstrous models) or three Attacks for Kroxigor?
A: No.

Q: Can Arcane Unforging target a standard bearer who carries a magical standard?
A: Yes.

Q: If Arcane Unforging destroys a magical standard (such as a magical Battle Standard), is the standard replaced with an ordinary standard?
A: Ordinary standards are not "replaced" by the purchasing of a magic standard (ie, the model benefits from the effects of both), so the ordinary standard remains if the magic item is destroyed.

Q: If a model with table wide special rules does not start on the board, can the army make use of its special rules?
A: No.

*These rulings are subject to change at any time an official response from Games Workshop is published containing a relevant FAQ or errata.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 am 

Thanks Mal, I appreciate and shall abide by your rulings. Ogres it is then... :D

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:18 pm 

Hey, what do you know....i was right!

Personally i didnt think it needed to be clarified as the rulebook is pretty concise with the rules anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 pm 

At Ultimates, which comes first if the unit can benefit from both??
- BSB Hold your Ground special rule (Re-roll failed Ld test)
- Gleaming Pendant (One use only, re-roll FIRST failed Ld test)

Would I have to use the Gleaming Pendant even if the BSB is within range?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 pm 

Surely its irrelevant, because whether the reroll is from the BSB or the Pendant, the second (and subsequent) failed Ld tests wont trigger the Pendant even if you didnt use it on the first one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:54 pm 

Its not irrelevant.
If I have to use the Pendant for that Ld test, then I cannot use it for the rest of the game (its one use only).

If I have the choice to make the reroll without using a One Use Only magic item, then Id prefer to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Does the full text for the Pendant say "first failed test" (as in the army's) or does it say something to infer that it's the unit's first failed test?

It's in the Lizard book right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:12 pm 

Its in the main rulebook. And sure its one use only, but it still only allows you to reroll your FIRST failed Ld test of the game. Even if you havnt used it, and you fail a SECOND test, you dont get to use it then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 pm 

Quote:
Its in the main rulebook. And sure its one use only, but it still only allows you to reroll your FIRST failed Ld test of the game. Even if you havnt used it, and you fail a SECOND test, you dont get to use it then.
I fully comprehend that I cannot benefit from both the BSB and the Gleaming Pendant for the same test.
Im wondering, if I fail a test (lets say its the units first test it has failed), do I need to make use of the Gleaming Pendant even though I could make use of the BSB reroll instead?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:37 pm 

i would have thought the bsb would kick in and not waste the pendant in the spirit of the game.

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

Quote:
i would have thought the bsb would kick in and not waste the pendant in the spirit of the game.
Its what Im hoping, but I doubt thats how it should be ruled.
Id like it to be ironed out before lists are submitted is all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:10 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Yup, unfortunately Tom's right on this one. If you use the BSB for the first test then it effectively becomes a paperweight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:54 pm 

If the General or BSB is mounted on a Monster (A Skink Chief on a Stegadon for example), and that character is killed but the Mount is not, does the opponent score the bonus Victory points for The General (+100 VP) or BSB (+100 VP).
The reason I ask is because unless both are removed as casualties (The Character and Mount) before the end of the game, the opponent scores no VPs for the character choice. Does this limitation include scoring the bonus points for The General/ BSB?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:20 am 

Well as much as i would love to say....we should be treating Characters on Monster Mounts (specifcally Monsters) and Chariots as separate entities for VP (I say this not to begrudge people playing these combinations).
- I say this purely for the fact that a Character and his mount/chariot can act independently from one another, unlike regular mounts.
- By killing the character on top of the monster/chariot, the monster or chariot should not then inherit the status of BSB/General and associated VP conditions.
- In a tournament (where VP's dictate victory) it allows a player to abuse the way the VP structure works.
- The VP structure in Ultimates and other such tournaments is fundamentally different to what is outlined in the Rulebook and as such any rules regarding VP's should be carefully considered.

For example if a Character on a Mount (whatever it is) dies from a Cannonball, Magic Spell/miscast, Combat, Shooting (whatever) and the owning player proceeds to hide, flee, stay out of combat, manipulate to sit behind other targets etc. Effectively preventing its death to deny points i believe is in poor taste. A mount is not a General or BSB and should not be the defacto inheritor of such statuses.

However as per the Pg. 6 of the Warhammer Rulebook FAQ.

Q: If I kill a character but not their mount, do I score victory
points for just the character, the character and their mount, or
must I kill the mount too in order to score any victory points?
(p143)
A: You must kill the character and his mount to score any
victory points.

This is NOT my tournament and the ruling should be considered by the panel of organisers. But, if I had a vote. I would vote, that killing a Character counts towards Victory Points (both in base cost and bonus points, Excluding cost of mount) regardless of Mount.

EDIT: Ill further my reasoning for this stance. The concept of a TOURNAMENT is in itself a "House Rule", "Victory Point Tables" that we use to declare margins of victory are a house rule. Max point spends on Units (500pts in the case of ultimates), magic dice cast (5), 15+ spell one use only and various other rules are all "House Rules". I believe a house rule should be used to dictate this particular situation.

Last edited by Exavia on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next