[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Ultimate Warhammer 2012 aftermath! - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:03 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:52 am 
Site Admin

This thread is for post event discussion from the 2012 WestGamer Ultimate Warhammer Tournament. Post any event feedback, experiences, battle reports or tales of glory and woe here!

I'll post my own commentary in a little bit also. ;)

Full event results are available here!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:13 am 

As usual guys a fantastic event so well done.

It continues to amaze me that you guys run three full events on the one weekend.

I have nothing but praise for the organisers and look forward to next year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm 

Well, another year done and dusted.
Firstly, congrats to Luke, Adrian and Simmo.
It was great to have active, enthused hobbyists as part of the judging panel that maintained a great attitude, put on a great tournament and ran things smoothly.
Secondly, congrats the recipients of Warhammer Awards. From all reports, very very well deserved wins (and runner-uppers)!

Feedback for the tournament as below.
As has always been said, to help the tournament grow and improve, it will contain positive and negetive feedback, but none should be taken personally.

- Once again, great venue. Easy to get to and access to drinks and food (though an ungodly line always exists). I'm interested to hear if next year will continue to be at the Saint, or if the other venue will get the green light (if I qualify?)
- Smoothly run, but a little behind schedule. I wasnt phased as I doubt it would have affected a great many games, and there were 43 players in 3 tournaments to organise.
- Positive attitudes from the judges (who are active hobbyists) is a big plus from me, especially after the lack of sleep and the months of preparation
- Not having the printer on day one slowed results entry down a tad, but ensured accountability for accurate results. You guys managed to work around it very well.
- Unlike last year, I had no qualms with the mission or the scoring. It is absolutely great to see the feedback provided during the aftermath threads last year being utilised to improve this years tournament. Small changed such as how to score extra points during custom missions and the margins of victory made for a much more tense chase for the top. Well done.
- However, I am still a little disappointed that Named Characters were not allowed this year again. Warmachine / Hordes (by game design) and 40k had no restrictions on characters (and 40k especially had no restrictions in army construct from the rulebook), and it would be good to see Fantasy have the same freedom of list design.

Short, but precise.
I intend to post up game breakdowns later on.
Yordan, Blair, Rob, Jim, Charlie and Karl B - thank you for the enjoyable games.

I look forward to next year and as a result, am madly doing my head in with list ideas for future tournaments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 am 

Im completely with Ju on the scenarios and scoring front! Even though I couldnt make it last year I looked at the players pack and whent "what the hell is up with this?" No such problems this year.

My suggestion for improvement is with the terrain. The players pack said we would have a sheet saying what everything was.....this did not happen and it would have been very helpful. As some examples:

- one table had a pair of lakes(?) on it. There are no rules for lakes in the rulebook so what do we do with them? I played on this table twice and once they were called marshes (which do pretty much nothing), and once they were called rivers (which do a lot!). This is not a good thing for consistency between games and players.

- one table had a single tree sitting out on its own. Everyone I spoke to ignored it (including me)......so what was the point in it being there.

- one table had a disk of sand about 5 inches in diamiter with some green moss like material on it.....no idea what this was supposed to be. It got played as a fence despite being as deep as a block of troops!

Terrain was also seriously lacking. The rule book suggests D6+4 bits of terrain for a table. Many of them only had 4-5 peices and I think the max was 6. Of these limited bits of terrain a respectable number were hills......hills really are pretty rubbish in 8th.

On the flip side of things I really liked how you did not use mysterious terrain! Rivers and forests are the best example of this. Both of these terrain types are really interesting in game, but the races that benefit the most from them also suffer the most from the damaging varieties of the mysterious versions. It really irritates me when Im playing with my Wood Elves and am too scared to go into the mysterious wood incase it decides to eat half a dryad unit!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:26 am 
Site Admin

You are correct - there are a few issues that I'll be addressing regarding terrain for next year's event that I was painfully aware of this year. A lot of it came down to some last minute reallocation of terrain pieces due to time running out on the production of some of the new pieces, something which I take full responsibility for. (No matter how much time I leave to do this each year, it just never seems to be enough! :P)

In regards to the players pack mention of the terrain sheets - I missed a key word change in the Warhammer pack this year (which I got right when updating the 40K one) from "Each table will be provided with a scenario sheet before the game" to "Each table may be provided with a scenario sheet before the game." The intention was to give us the option to identify a few key pieces on each table that must be played in a particular way for an interesting tactical challenge (should we choose) - not to provide a comprehensive sheet for each and every table, which would be complete overkill and unnecessary.
Quote:
- one table had a pair of lakes(?) on it. There are no rules for lakes in the rulebook so what do we do with them? I played on this table twice and once they were called marshes (which do pretty much nothing), and once they were called rivers (which do a lot!). This is not a good thing for consistency between games and players.
If it's a circular piece with fixed boundaries, it should have been pretty obvious that it wasn't a river. ;) The green colur of the water should have been a giveaway that these were in fact swamps/marshland and as such are covered by the rules on page #121 (dangerous terrain for all non skirmishing units). At any rate, a judge could have clarified this for you if asked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 pm 

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling with Game break downs.
I'll keep them short (otherwise they will never get read).

Firstly, my Army List;
- Slann, BSB, Higher State, Soul of Stone, Crown of Command, Obsidian Amulet, Dispell Scroll, Plaque of Dominion
- Skink priest, level 2, Engine of the Gods, Dawnstone, Plaque of Tepok
- Skink Chief, Light Armour, Javelin, Charmed Shield, Opal Amulet, Cloak of Feathers
- 2 x 24 Skinks, Full Command, 3 kroxigor
- 1 x 12 Skinks, musician
- 2 x 2 Jungle Swarms
- 1 x 4 Terradons
- 1 x 5 Chameleon Skinks
- 1 x 8 Chameleon Skinks
- 1 x 1 Salamander, Handler
- 1 x 2 Razadon

Game 1 - Yordan (Daemons) - Meeting Engagement.
So, Ultimates begins with First/ Second from 2011 playing against one another, and until Skullz'12 (One month prior), I hadn't actually played Yordan before. Skullz was a bit of a warm up, and gave me insight into Yordans play style.
After rolling for my army, a single unit of Jungle Swarms were delayed and Yordan had his whole army. I won the roll off, deployed first and got first turn (Phew!).
Terradons feinted a move to threaten the General, which had Yordans chaff occupied behind his lines, allowing my to encircle him. A long (long) charge from his Bloodcrushers had my Engine of the Gods engaged in combat, which Challenged the Herald. Yordans big mistake was accepting the challenge, as his hammer unit was reduced to a single attacking model (which still killing blow'd the Priest). Counter charge after counter charge after counter charge after counter charge (Skinkgor > Flesh Hounds > Skink Chief > Sceamers) had me finally win the combat, and still threaten the other two big blocks.
On the other side, the Slann made a bold move right infront of the Plaguebearers - who instead charged the block unit behind. Unluckily, they didnt hold, but my Jungle Swarms then entered play and delayed them for another turn!
Speaking of Jungle swarms - One base killed his Khorne Herald with 3 poisoned hits!
Towards the end of the game, I managed to kill the General with a Salamnder, and the Slann Stubbonly held his ground against the Plaguebearers.
11 - 9 win.

Game 2 - Blair (Warriors of Chaos) - Plunder
Blair rolled for his Chosen at the start of the game, and fearing that I would shoot him up quickly, opted for +1 to his Armour save. i then revealed that I was taking lore of metal. I won first turn I went second, but because the Horsemen vanguarded, they couldnt charge so I proceeded to wail on 10 lightly armoured Marauder Horsemen. They charged the Salmander who killed them in 2 turns. The knights became a victim of Searing Doom, while the Engine of the Gods mopped up the Khorne Chaos Warriors (after failing its first charge and leaving my Skinkgor block unsupported :(). Challenges again won me the combat as i thunderstomped the BSB, then the Champion, then finally the Unit.
The Chosen, after being Transmutated to Gold and being reduced to a single rank made head way on scoring points, as the Hellcannon succumbed to massed poisoned shooting.
At the end of the game, Blair has his General and one Sorcerer remaining (obviously holding a fair few Magic items).
16 - 4 win.

Game 3 - Rob Horton (Dark Elves) - Night Assault
i am super fearful of the amount of firepower Rob has. Neither of us castled, and after a Scout off (and a win for first turn), I began to make a dent in Robs shades and Bolt throwers. One unit of Chameleon Skinks let me down (and Rob passed a single Light Armour save) to have a bolt thrower remain alive when I didnt want it to. The Hydras unsurprisingly whittled down my Skinkgor units (regen :(). Rob took advantage of having the last turn and mopped up the last remaing Kroxigor (scoring 307pts for the unit).
7 - 13 loss.

Game 4 - Jim Howard (Beastmen) - I think this was a captured Standards Mission
As I predicted, Jim had a general who would Join a Bestigor unit with the banner of Discipline near the BSB to take advantage of Primal Fury. I didnt predict that he would also take 3 other wizards! Including a herd stone, Jim could be netting 3 -4 extra Power dice per phase, so having the first turn of the game, I irresistibly cast a Comet of Cassandora next to his Herdstone. This vacated the area quickly, and I focused on removing the chaff on an extreme flank (including a wizard) to keep the wizards off of the Herdstone for the rest of the game (almost). The Stegadon stuffed up and didnt kill the BSb in the first round (including Thunderstomps) and proceeded to be hacked down next round after Jim successfully cast the Savage Beast of Horos. Almost Identically to the game against Yordan, a Unit of Jungle Swarms consumed the General (2 poisoned hits and a 6 to wound). The Slann stubbornly engaged the Gor herd until reinforcements arrived.
At the end of the game, Jim had two wizards and a unit of Ungor skirmishers left. The wizards were attempting to kill the slann with magic missiles, and the final attempt, a Pit of Shades, scattered off.
18 - 2 win.

Game 5 - Charlie Taylor - High Elves - Duel
Score extra points by winning challenges? My army relies on challenges to win games, so a great manny challenges were issued. The Stegadon did its thing to hold up a Swordmasters unit for a little while, but was eventually cut down as Charlie refused to accept the challenge from my Skink priest (Boo!). Skinkgor helped to engage and managed to eventually kill the Swordmaster, but not before they were charged by an Eagle and a Dragon :shock: . over the course of the combats, the Dragon was reduced to a single wound :( meanwhile, the Chameleons killed two Bolt Throwers, The Slann flank charged a chariot and Final Transmutated 13 (out of 19) Spearmen (needing 5's). The second Skinkgor block killed some Dragon Princes. It became a big scrap, and the Jungle swarms missed out on killing their third character as Charlie charged them with his lone BSB.
12 - 8 win.

Game 6 - Karl Booth (Lizardmen) - The Table Quarter Scenario (?)
I was expecting Karl to play quite defensive until late in the game, but he began an aggressive assault from turn three. I didnt respond well enough, and he managed to get the match ups for the combats he wanted. Also, without Champions in his units, I couldnt challenge my way to safety! He played very cleverly (unsurprisingly :wink: ) and I didnt take advantage of enough opportunities. Karl got the last turn and dictated which quarters belonged to who, Racking up 750pts - 250pts for the scenario in his favour.
3 - 17 loss.

All in all - First for painting, Second for Overall (but by how much??)
I had a very entertaining weekend, and was very giddy to hear that people especially enjoyed their time playing against me :oops:
I would like to bring a new army to Ultimates next year (especially if Special Characters can make an appearance). Be on the look out for some new stuff from me (hopefully :roll: )

Last edited by Ju on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 pm 

Great battle reports Scoju. Loved reading them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:48 pm 

Great Reports

That evil steg should have gone down first turn allowing me to punch through and then I made the noob mistake of the century thinking my unit could hit the steg in a challange and I lost the match. Thats twice now ju that steg has laid low my plans.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 pm 

Ok so Ultimate Battle Reports

Game 1 – Ju – 9/11 Loss

So we lined up and found out the slann was rocking metal. Yes I thought I had this match in the bag. Juggers made a 19 inch charge against the steg which I should have easily killed in one turn and then I accepted the challenge - the noob mistake of the century doh! This cost me the match and maybe a podium spot. I am still spoiling over this mistake. So the juggers got bogged down and counter charged to death. My other units killed his other units and again the slann survived combat with 40 plague bearers (last time he survived against 40 letters). That guy won’t go down. In other news my herald on jugger got hit three times and had to make 2 saves with a 4+ and 5+ nope and he died. My other herald got snipped out by of all things a single base of nats left on one wound for #$@# sake. 400 points gone in heralds due to really unlucky rolling.

Game 2 – Karl - 11/9 Win

Karl in my humble opinion is one of if not the best generals in Perth and this was going to be a tough game. This game started out with a lot of tactical movement with no side going for an all-out assault. Karl tried to magic me and I picked off his chaff with my Juggers and other faster units. I must say much of Karls forces ended up fleeing and rallying so I could not catch them for the points. Any win against Karl is a good one.

Game 3 – Casey – 10/10 Draw (ok so first 3 random seeded games see me face ¾ top contenders hmm Luke??)

Rats normally don’t bother me but I was caught out with a sneaky str9 lord who hit all 5 attacks and wounded 5 times and I failed 5 saves loosing half my juggers. Loosing combat by 1 I rolled Ld and yes rolled a 12 wiping the rest out. If one had survived the resulting flank charge would have caved the flank and allowed me to regrowth the unit. The battle went on with Casey going for a win when a miscommunication over rules concerning plague put the whole game in question and a mutual agreement saw a draw put down.

So day one was not good with a flat 30 points.

Game 4 –Wood Elves - 16 or 17 Win

Daemons vs wood elves is a bad match up for the wood elves. The game went as I thought with some shooting until I reached his lines and then it was all over. My letters took on 2 treemen and a dragon which was close with all those thunder stomps and then the juggers cleared the chaff and hit the flank and its was all over. The dragon failing its first 3+ ward helped. The high light was on turn 5 with nearly no wood elves left my Tez herald left the safety of the building (turn 5 no hail of doom right) wrong the last character now running around avoiding death popped the hail of doom with 16 arrows right into my heralds head.

Game 5 – Dark Elves 14 – 6 Win

This match was a little harder. Turn 1 saw a life taker wizard kill my herald before I had a turn doh!. His shooting & magic ripped my letter horde apart to the point where they were too scared to charge 20 corsairs with hand bows ~14 left. The left flank went down as my dogs and fiend killed 10 shades and a bolt thrower. The other shade block killed the dogs. The plague bearers moved up and was charged by two hydra’s over 2 turns and his spearmen. They all died and I lost about 12 plague bearers. Yes they are that good. My juggers finally beat the chaff and his collapse started in earnest. Up until this point I was not in a good position with his magic brutalising me - I lost 33 letters before they got into combat charge range - through breath weapons, magic and shooting. However when the wizard got sucked into the warp and the juggers killed the assassin it turned around big time. His biggest mistake was leaving 6 blood letters alone for 2 turns and not grabbing the points.

Game 6 - Jed WOC 11-9 Win

Ok so up against Jed who had a great 5 matches (something like 20, 20, 17, 20, 11) up to this point and I knew that to beat him I had to go all out for a 20/0. Looking at the armies I was confident that I had the advantage with an answer for each of his units. However his previous game victories resounded in my mind and I was psyched out by my own brain (dam you brain). So I played it safe. This game much like Karls saw us both move around the board with my juggers picking off his hell cannon and overrunning off the board to safety. They did what they do best and kill big stuff. He miscast 5 times placing 2 wounds on his general and 1 on his hero caster. I then went for the assassination with the dogs and wounded his lvl 4 twice which he made both its saves and his hero (with 1 wound) 5 times. He then proceeded to make 4 5+ saves and a 6+ ward save doh! Parry double doh!. Next turn I missed four 3+ attacks with the remaining two hounds and they died for nothing. His warrior got 4+ ward and stubborn so my blocks legged it. The juggers returned on board to charge his troll block (hmm flaming herald) and he put the warshrine in their way witch they duly killed on the final turn. My mistake was holding back I should have gone for the kill.

So a great tournament with 6 really good games. I learnt a couple of things played some new great players and had a lot of fun.

And plague bearers are better than blood letters maybe 2 hordes of 40 plague bearers next time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:52 am 

Great reports Yordan. Looks like you had some tough match-ups and a big dose of bad luck mate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 pm 

My luck was not too bad (day 1 could have been better :)), I made some dumb mistakes and my oponents played very very well and in some instances for example with Ju he outplayed me and deserved his win. Army to army I had the advantage it was his skill in general which secured him the win. Ju list for lizards was soft, but well thought out and executed to a T.

On the day from all the people I played he would be top oponent that I faced.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 pm 

Cheers Yordan.
That means alot coming from someone that I respect as a great Fantasy general! 8)
To be fair, I think you made me think the most about how to respond to my opponent's tactics - which is really difficult first game with 5 hours sleep and no energy drink.
Its good to hear that you enjoyed playing against me as much as I enjoyed playing against you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm 

No problems bud.

It was the most enjoyable game all weekend.

Having said that I wont make that mistake again and next time your going down big time hard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:16 am 

Luke any idea when the final results will be posted?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Full event results are now available here!