Register    Login    Portal    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Games Workshop » The Roster Board

Post subject: 2000pt Chaos Troll Army (Throgg)
 Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:35 pm 

This army is based around Throgg, so essentailly no man sized models allowed.

Lord

Demon Prince
mark of tzeentch
level 2 wizard
diabolic splendour
fury of the blood god

Hero's

Throgg

Core

7 Trolls

7 Trolls

7 Trolls

Special

4 Dragon Ogres
Great weapons

Rare

2 Chaos Spawn

TOTAL: 1988

So while this list is designed mostly for its visual impact, my question is could it be competitive?
Obviously an army of High Elves that decide to all use lore of fire would be the end of me, but let's just leave that to one side.
The role of the Demon Prince is to provide some magical protection and firepower and to hunt down any wizards and war machines. I have used a Demon Prince with a similar configuration before and find it incredibly effective (especially considering his 2+ ward save against magic).
Thanks all!

Post subject: Re: 2000pt Chaos Troll Army (Throgg)
 Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:57 pm 
Club WestGamer

I like it :P

It seems as though it can be effective, although to improve the daemon prince I would get the 'third eye of tzeentch' gift. He has +3 to cast, so if you are facing a lvl4, or someone with loremaster, you can nick their spells and cast several per magic phase. It's hard to hide from now in 8th due to true line of sight. You're going to give away a lot of points if he dies anyway, an extra 25 or 45 won't make any difference.

Two or three units of chaos hounds also wouldn't go astray. To pay for these, I would simply drop one troll from two units - giving you units of 6, 6 and 8 (with Throgg). Enough for two units of 5 hounds, and the third eye gift.

It's a lot of hitting power for people to try to stop, so one or two of your blocks should be able to make it to where you want them. You'll also have to be careful to not let your Trolls get flanked by a ranked unit - ld 8 with a reroll is still no sure thing.

Axis 0/2
Iron Mother 1/2
Aurora 1/0

Post Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:38 pm 

Thanks for those suggestions.
Warhounds had not even crossed my mind. I was trying to find some small units to fit in and they would be perfect.
I will factor those is and see what I come up with,
Cheers!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 pm 

Instead of the daemon prince, you may want to consider Valkia the bloody. She is an awesome help to a monster list as she always break tests to be re-rolled within 12" just like Throog. But then you are sacrificing magic. Also if she is combined with a couple of warshrines, who boost up and support the flanks of your trolls then list would become very viable. Just make sure she is your general so both throggs and her leadership can be used.

GDPA Skaven 4th Overall
Unending Battlelines Skaven 2nd Overall Best General
Erradication Skaven 3rd Overall Best Army

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:53 pm 

Great suggeations, unfortunately Valkia and warshrines don't fit into the "Monster army" theme.
The Daemon prince is my only option for magic and his task will be to work independant of the rest of the army to take our other wizards, war machines ect.

Also considering dropping the mark of Tzeentch on the Daemon prince so he can use the lore of death. This would expose him (dropping his ward from 4 to 5+). Although he would still have a 2+ against direct damge spells and a 4+ against wounds from all other spells...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:43 am 

rodda wrote:
Also considering dropping the mark of Tzeentch on the Daemon prince so he can use the lore of death. This would expose him (dropping his ward from 4 to 5+). Although he would still have a 2+ against direct damge spells and a 4+ against wounds from all other spells...

I would try to keep the 4+ward save mainly because:
-he is a lone model amongst an army of trolls (who have regen 4+);
-he costs much more than what Trolls do for less of a save against mundane attacks(450 vs 40(?));
-TLOS will make him difficult to hide;
-if he is warmachine hunting then chances are he will cop a cannon ball to the face at some point, a 4+ is far more reliable.

Apart from that though I like the list. Warhounds are very handy to have and annoying to face so that could be a good inclusion but apart from that, best of luck building it. :D

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:25 am 
Club WestGamer

Definitely keep the mark of Tzeentch. Daemon Princes are very easy to kill, especially with TLOS nowadays. Plus if you take the third eye of tzeentch gift, you can get spells from other than the lore of tzeentch anyway (if you want to).

Axis 0/2
Iron Mother 1/2
Aurora 1/0

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:17 pm 

I was hesitant to drop the mark of Tzeentch and I think you guys are right. I'm waiting on a few more trolls to arrive and some warhounds then it will get it's first run through hopefully in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I will update when I get a result.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 pm 

I like the theme, but honestly any competent player with a average list should crush this army easily.
Its the same reason, imo, that OK suffers. An army of monsterous infantry is just weak.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:20 pm 

How exactly is an army of monstrous infantry weak?
If anything the new rules have made monstrous infantry even better. They can make 3 supporting attacks on top of 1 automatic hit at their base strength at the end of each combat, for each model in base contact.
When you also consider that chaos trolls have a 4+ regen save and at the end of every phase, if they have regenerated 2 wounds or more then they roll on the eye of the gods table... 4+ ward save stubborn LD 8 trolls with rerolls for break tests anyone? (Sure it's an unlikely event but the potential is there.

I understand it obviously has many weaknesses but it wasn't designed to be a competitive army. having said that the list definately has some strong points to it I believe...

Just don't bring fire into the equation and everything is fine :D

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:11 pm 

Few points. why would i kill it when i can break it? your army has 0 ranks so will have to win every combat and the ones they do they arent likely to break. you have very few units. you will quickly become overwhelmed.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:44 am 

The Trolls have one rank each but they should still lose combat or if they will the other unit will be steadfast. shooting and magic will hurt this list badly.
But one the plus side I love you are sticking to a theme.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 pm 

Ok with all suggestions taken in place I have tweaked the list a little bit, mainly to compensate for the inability to compete in certain scenarios...involving break points...

Lord

Daemon Prince
mark of Tzeentch
level 3 wizard
fury of the blood god
3rd eye of Tzeentch

Hero

Throgg

Core

6 Trolls

6 trolls

7 Chaos Orges
chaos armour
great weapons
standard
musician

Special

4 Dragon Ogres
great weapons

Rare

2 Chaos Spawn

TOTAL 1993

I struggled to put the ogres in and keep it under 2000 points. I think the ogres take a lot of the gamble out of the list by adding a unit with a standard...and can stand up to fire based attacks. I wanted warhounds but in 2000 points the chaos spawn should act as good charge bait or stallers.

Of course most tournaments these days seem to be 2200 or 2400 and if it was that side then hounds could be thrown in, some more trolls and some more goodies for the ogres perhaps

Board index » Games Workshop » The Roster Board